Doesn't this exclude people who don't use the internet?
According to the BBC, as of June 2010, over 82% of the population in the UK are internet users (probably more by now). Primary Care currently caters its services to the other 18% that aren't internet users. Using an online community for your PPG is more about including the 82%, which we don't often hear from, than it is about excluding the other 18%.
Also, historically, traditional PPGs simply haven't worked. They too don't attract the 18% of non-internet users. Traditional PPGs tend to attract very few patients and make it impossible for a variety of patients to participate as most patients are busy working or looking after children or the like.
How does this link up with my website?
When you get a GP Community you are given, among other things, a unique URL (that's fancy lingo for a 'website link'). You can put this website link anywhere you like, on posters, flyers, or your website. Anywhere you can print or post, you can advertise your community. If you have a website designer, he can turn the link into a tab on your website or an ad for your GP Community. The link will look something like this: www.Surgery.HealthUnlocked.com.
When your patients click on the link it will take them to your page, which will look similar to this. It's there that they can join your community and start contributing.